The Access Wireless Program
Access Wireless is a Lifeline Assistance program supported by the Universal Service Fund. Income-eligible customers that qualify for Access Wireless service will receive a free mobile phone with a monthly allotment of airtime for one year. Airtime may be used for making voice calls, text messaging or data access. The Lifeline benefit provided by Access Wireless is restricted to one per household, as mandated by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC).
Generally speaking, Access Wireless customers receive 250 free voice minutes or text messages each month. There are a few exceptions, based on state legislation.
Access Wireless offers its customers unique benefits not found with all Lifeline service providers.
- Access Wireless customers can earn additional free airtime with the FREE MINUTES rewards program. FREE MINUTES can be earned by using a Shopper’s or Loyalty Card in the Kroger Family of stores. For every $100 spent in-store, a customer earns a reward.
- Access Wireless customers have the ability to upgrade their handset for as little as $19.99.
- Access Wireless customers can add airtime to their account if they need more than their monthly allotment of free airtime.
- Add $10 and receive 150 voice minutes, unlimited text for 10 days and 100 MB of data
- Add $25 and receive 300 voice minutes, unlimited text for 30 days and 500 MB of data
- Add $50 and receive unlimited voice minutes, unlimited text for 30 days and 1 GB of data
Access Wireless Eligibility
Lifeline service is available to eligible low-income consumers who have an income level that is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or participate in one of the following assistance programs:
- Federal Public Housing Assistance or Section 8
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- National School Lunch Free Lunch Program
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
Access Wireless Program Availability
Access Wireless has been approved to offer Lifeline service in over 30 states. Service is currently available in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and West Virginia.
Please visit the Access Wireless website, www.accesswireless.com for more information and to search for service by zip code.
Retention of Service
In order to receive uninterrupted service, Access Wireless customers will need to:
- Place a voice call or send a text message every 60 days
- Maintain eligibility status based on enrollment in a qualifying program
- Update records with change of address
- Participate in an annual re-certification measure as required by the FCC
The FCC requires that at least once a year, beginning in 2012, consumers that receive free or discounted Lifeline service must re-certify:
- That they remain eligible for Lifeline service, and;
- That no one else in their household receive Lifeline service.
Access Wireless customers will be contacted annually by text message, mailed postcard or letter, email or telephone call for the re-certification process. Failure to respond by the deadline indicated warrants termination of Lifeline service.
Access Wireless Contact Information:
Customer Care: 1-888-450-1838